Drug Abuse In College Students
Many college-going students have a drinking or drug problem.
The rate of addiction in college students is higher than most other groups.
The risk of addiction is already high in young people within the age bracket of 18 to 24.
Many pupils suffer social anxiety when first going to college. It is easier to let go off your inhibitions after a few drinks and that's why many students are tempted to drink. Binge drinking is not something that every student starts doing as soon as he enters college, but drinking on a regular basis pushes many students onto the path of addiction.
It is surprising to know that students enrolled to attend college full time are 2x more likely to become addicts or drug abusers compared to those who are out of school.
Reasons Why College Pupils Revert To Drugs
There are many reasons that cause people to start using these drugs such as
- Different people have different ways of coping and amidst the daily grind of college life and perhaps their part-time job and relationships make them think they need it.
- Study Pressure
- The pressure to complete their assignments within the due dates leads more students to begin taking stimulants such as Adderall, which can help them to stay awake late at night for the studies.
- Many of the time students procure prescription-based medicines when they don't have a legal prescription.
- College students, because of their young age and fewer responsibilities want to try out new things.
- They will thus be curious to try out some things such as drugs and alcohol.
- Influence From Others
- Sometimes a student may start indulging in alcoholism just because some of their friends are doing so.
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 246 1509
Diet Tablets And Eating Issues At College
There is usually problems with dieting among many college students.
As a matter of data suggests that one in every four students have an eating disorder. It is quite unfortunate that these number tends to increase as the years go by. Peer pressure and low-self esteem among college students drive them to pop dieting pills to lose undesirable weight easily. Death and other health complications can occur because of this. Get more info about unhealthy eating behaviours and diet tablets overuse on college campuses.
Chosen Drugs On College Campuses
Depending on the prevailing waves and technological advances of the time, the drug of choice among college students change with time.
There are few mainstays among the abused substances that are always there throughout the decades. Below are few of them on college campuses
- Alcohol is the most commonly abused substance in college campuses.
- Having a drink is often believed to be socially acceptable and recognising a problem among college students who are abusing alcohol can be difficult.
- Many students, especially those who are stressed out about finishing study assignments on time, reach out for stimulants such as Adderall, which are also known as "study drugs".
- Pot is now being used most by many students because many states have started legalizing it.
- You shouldn't be surprised to see that it is being abused more than liquor.
- MDMA or molly is the pure form of ecstasy, this is a drug that was very popular in the 90s, and has recently been making its way back.
- It is relatively accessible among college students as a party drug, and they are more likely to use this drug as they fall under the target age range for this drug abuse.
- One of the most common party drugs is MDMA.
Alcohol And The Impact On College Students
The most hazardous drug found in college campuses is booze. Booze is basically ever present at private parties, sport venues, and student gatherings therefore becoming synonym of college experience.
Most college pupils end up assuming more booze that non college students because its abuse during college is common and often excused.
Survey reveals that a staggering 80% of college students drink alcohol.
A research performed by the National Institute of Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism has shown that about half of pupils have drank heavily. Binge drinking causes severe health damage over a period of time, but it also contributes to immediate mishaps like accidents and violent fights. Learn more about binge drinking and the effects of alcohol on college campuses.
Greek Life And Overuse
The idea of family relationship fostered in fraternities and sorority groups is somewhat negated with the increasing alcohol and drug culture that are common among them.
Members within the fraternity and the sorority are more than likely than their non-Greek peers to abuse prescription medications, including Adderall.
Seeking Assistance For Drug And Alcohol Abuse
There is always help for the students in higher institutions that are having a hard time to stop using alcohol or other forms of drugs. You can trust our experts to assist you in finding experienced counsellors to help you get out of your addiction. Gain your life back from overuse and dependence by contacting us now on 0800 246 1509.