What Is Experimential Therapy
It is common to notice many recovering addicts feeling uncomfortable when working through the problems they are facing in a traditional therapy setting. In experimential therapy, addiction treatment is done in various locations including outdoors, in art studios etc.
It focuses on dealing the addicts trauma through entertaining exercises.
Commonly within a traditional setting of counselling it has been noticed that some addicts are not comfortable in having a discussion with therapists. In experimential therapy, the patient is instead taken to a place in which they may feel more comfortable.
Recovering addicts may have feelings or memories that are repressed and experimential therapy attempts to bring these to the fore in unconventional treatment settings.
Experimential therapy can include activities such as
- Rock climbing
- Ropes courses
- Music therapy
- Wilderness therapy
- Recreational activities
- Adventure therapy
Hidden feelings and disturbances are hard to process, so the experimential therapy allow the addict to become more conscious about what he or she have on the inside to handle these emotions in a good way. With the help of experimential therapy, a recovering addict can begin to understand how these issues can be faced without returning to drugs as an escape route.
Ready to Get Help?
CALL US NOW ON 0800 246 1509
Treating Addiction Using Experimential Therapy
Rock climbing and hiking are physically demanding activities, however, they have the ability to stimulate the stress of the real world for recovering addicts to overcome their habits. Experimential therapy can instruct recouping addicts how to adapt to ordinary stressors like desires and substance mishandle triggers.
Exploratory treatment has additionally verified successful in curing numerous conditions that coexist with dependency. It is essential to treat these disorders besides the addiction because it can decrease the mental health-related stress and triggers, which can include the likelihoods of relapse.
Techniques And Treatment Used In Experimential Therapy
Throughout the stretch of an exploratory treatment, counsellors lead recuperating users via various therapeutic activities , custom made to their particular therapeutic necessities.
Recuperating addicts might be less watched amid experimential therapy, taking into consideration more exact patient assessments for advisors and mental mending for addicts.
The following are some of the disturbances that experimential therapy also treats
- Feelings of despair
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder [OCD].
- Eating issues
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
Experimential Therapy Used With Other Treatments
The main objective of experimential therapy is correcting the negative conducts of the addict that make damage to him, and for that is regularly combined with other psychotherapy methods. These exercises permit recuperating addicts to apply the life aptitudes they're educated amid psychotherapy sessions in pragmatic, hands-on situations.
It's imperative to start whatever therapy scheme with a professional detoxification since abstinence from numerous narcotics results in unpleasant or harmful signs. Treatment of withdrawal symptoms during detoxification can be handled in both residential and outpatient facilities. Thereafter several therapies can be utilised in conjunction with experimential therapy in order to provide proper treatment for the individual through the recovery process.
This is done to offer the addict a complete treatment and prevent further setbacks.
Experimential Therapy Common Techniques Are
- Equine Assisted Psychotherapy
- Equine assisted psychotherapy [EAP] includes the use of horses during the exercises for therapeutic recovery.
- Patients won't ride steeds, yet they will prep, nourish, bridle and walk them all through the session.
- The various methods recuperating users connect with the horses may reveal awareness regarding their inner and psychological conditions.
- Identifying and dealing with the damaging emotions that the addicts many not even know they have is what Equine-assisted psychotherapy aid to do to the addicts.
- EMDR or Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing
- The EMDR therapy requires patients to visualise a traumatic event even as a therapist leads them through specific eye movements.
- With the help of EMDR, many patients have successfully dealt with negative feelings that usually lead to substance abuse.
- Adventure Therapy
- The practice of outdoors sports is the focus of this therapy.
- Providing addicts an opportunity to develop personal responsibility, communication skills and the skills to solve problems while working within a group setting is the objective of adventure therapy and addicts receives the help that is required to achieve the ends.
- Art Therapy
- Art therapy permits recuperating addicts to communicate using craftsmanship or music.
- Recovering users can process negative emotions and other sources of stress in a healthier way by creating art.
Receive The Best Treatment For You
Call us to secure you a dependency rehabilitation scheme if you are experiencing issues with drug addiction. Experimential therapies such as climbing, use of art and obstacle courses can now be found in certain drug treatment centres. Treatment focuses the nation over have the medicinal and helpful assets you have to defeat sedate dependence call us on 0800 246 1509.